ITI Business Development course was created to educate union sheet metal workers on the fundamentals of business ownership to prepare them for the challenges involved in becoming SMART sheet metal contractors.
In this course, participants begin by asking themselves some important questions: Am I ready to own my own business? Do I have what it takes? If I do this, what are the risks? What will be the rewards? Once they decide they have the skills, personality, and support to take on this exciting opportunity, they will learn about the many details they will need to address to get their businesses off the ground.
Because planning is an essential part of running a business or a project, ITI Business Development introduces participants to the tools they need to plan for successful business ownership, including carefully choosing a business name, hiring and keeping the right people, bidding accurately, keeping track of cash flow and more. This program will give participants a jump-start on writing a comprehensive business plan along with exposure to essential marketing and financing strategies used in today’s construction and service markets.
This program is offered in four remote sessions. Each session is two hours (depending on class participation) with approximately two hours each week of independent study.
Course Computer System Requirements:
- Desktop computer, running Mac or Windows operating systems (while this course is viewable on a mobile device, it is optimized for desktop viewing and participation, and tablets and smartphones are discouraged)
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless
- Modern internet browser (the latest version of Chrome or Firefox are preferred)
NOTE: The built-in mic and speakers on your computer or mobile device might not pick up your audio as clearly as a headset, because built-in microphones on your computer or webcam can pick up other noise and cause an echo. We recommend using a headset plugged into your computer.
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth (headset is preferred)
Optional Equipment: (needed ONLY if you prefer to be seen in our virtual classroom)
- Optional webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
Please note that account registration requires administrative approval, during which we verify your SMART member status. Your interest and participation in this program is kept completely anonymous.